Legal Framework for the Notification of an Accident or a serious Incident
Notification of Aircraft Accidents and Incidents
(1) Accidents to civil aircraft, except air sports equipment, in the Federal Republic of Germany are to be immediately notified to the Federal Bureau of Aircraft Accidents Investigation by the pilot-in-command or, if he is unable, by another crew member or if none of these persons is in a position to do so, by the operator of the aircraft. This applies also to accidents to German aircraft outside the Federal Republic of Germany as well as to accidents to foreign aircraft which at the time of the occurrence are being operated by German air carriers on the basis of a charter contract.
(2) The Federal Bureau of Aircraft Accidents Investigation is to be immediately notified of serious incidents during the operation of civil aircraft, rotorcraft, balloons and airships in the Federal Republic of Germany. This applies also to accidents to German aircraft outside the Federal Republic of Germany as well as to accidents to foreign aircraft which at the time of the occurrence are being operated by German air carriers on the basis of a charter contract.
(3) Notwithstanding the provisions under paras 1 and 2, the air traffic surveillance units, the aerodrome control service and the air navigation services are obliged to immediately notify the Federal Bureau of Aircraft Accidents Investigation of accidents and incidents during the operation of an aircraft, as soon as they become known.
(4) Reports according to paras 1 through 3 shall contain:
1) name and current place of residence of the person reporting,
2) place and time of the accident or serious incident,
3) kind, type, registration marks and calling sign of the aircraft,
4) name of the aircraft operator,
5) purpose of the flight, aerodrome of departure and arrival,
6) name of the pilot-in-command,
7) number of crew members and passengers,
8) extent of injuries to persons and damage to aircraft,
9) information about dangerous goods transported,
10) description of the course of the accident or serious incident,
For the completion of the notification, the aircraft operator is obliged upon request of the Federal Bureau of Aircraft Accidents Investigation to submit within 14 days a report on a form obtained.
(5) The obligation of submitting a notification to the Luftfahrt-Bundesamt and to the aviation authorities on the basis of other regulations or conditions shall remain unaffected.
(6) Accidents and incidents during the operation of air sports equipment are to be immediately notified by the operator in writing to the person charged by the Federal Minister of Transport. Para 4 is to be applied accordingly.
(7) Paras 1 through 6 are to be applied to accidents and incidents as defined in the Law Relating to the Investigation into Accidents and Incidents Associated with the Operation of Civil Aircraft.